In order to ensure the prompt delivery of BoardActive notifications, your phone must be configured properly.
For both iOS & Android, below is a checklist of settings that should be set up correctly, how to manage these preferences in your mobile device, and troubleshooting procedures if you are not receiving notifications.
1. Activate Geopositioning
How: Apple geopositioning is randomly activated after you walk 0-200M. 200M is worst case, so it is the recommended distance.
2. Turn Notifications ON
How: Settings > Notifications > then toggle on Relevant App (with BA-SDK).
3. Turn Location Services ON
How: Settings > Privacy > Location Services > toggle ON Relevant App (with BA-SDK).
4. Turn Motion Tracking ON
How: Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > toggle ON Fitness Tracking.
5. Turn Low Battery Mode OFF
How: Turn OFF Low Power Mode from Control Center. Go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls > toggle OFF Low Battery Mode or charge battery > 80% to automatically turn it OFF.
6. Turn Background App Refresh ON
How: Settings > General > Background App Refresh > toggle ON Background App Refresh.
7. Turn Do Not Disturb OFF
How: Settings > Do Not Disturb > toggle OFF options.
8. Turn Airplane Mode OFF
How: Open Command Center > toggle OFF Airplane Mode.
9. Wi-Fi Routers (not mandatory)
How: Disconnect from Wi-Fi (easier) or configure router to work with APNS (harder).
10. Turn Wi-Fi Assistant OFF (not mandatory)
How to resolve: Settings > Cellular > toggle OFF Wi-Fi Assistant.
Make sure your phone has Internet connection.
You can check this by opening a browser and going to a website.
If browsing works, but app doesn't, contact your mobile provider and system administrator and make sure that your router is configured correctly to allow non-web and socket connections. You may also try a different connection. If you are connected to Wi-Fi, try mobile data or vice versa.
Make sure background data is not restricted
- Open your phone's Settings app > Apps > (app with ba-sdk) > Data usage.
- Make sure background data is not restricted.
- Repeat the above steps for Google Services.
- Restart your phone, or turn it off and on.
- Reset app preferences by going to your phone's Settings app > Apps > Menu Button > Reset app preferences.
- Prevent power saving mode from activating, for example by leaving your phone plugged into a power source.
- Keep your Wi-Fi on during sleep mode by going to your phone's Settings app > Wi-Fi > Settings icon > Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep > Always.
- Uninstall any task killers. These will hinder the app from receiving messages when you are not using it.
- Delete the BoardActive Test app and reinstall it.
- NOTE: this will clear all notifications from within the BoardActive Test app.
Operating System specific additional troubleshooting
- Android 4.1 – 4.4
- Make sure that Auto-sync data is turned on in your phone's Settings app > Data usage > Menu Button > auto-sync data.
- Make sure that Wi-Fi optimization is turned off in your phone's Settings app > Wi-Fi > Menu Button > Advanced > Wi-Fi optimization.
- Android 6.0+
- Make sure Do not disturb is turned off or you have allowed (app with ba-sdk) notifications in priority mode in your phone's Settings app > Sound > Do not disturb.
- Make sure all of the BoardActive AdDrop permissions are granted in your phone's Settings app > Apps > (app with ba-sdk) > Permissions.